Saturday, August 4, 2012

Tonight.

Tonight marked the night that I first realized I was leaving. Yes, I've been saying that I am leaving, yes I've been preparing for departure, yes I've been packing. Yes I've been going through the motions that lead up to going on a typical trip; but this trip is different. This trip will take 525,600 minutes. One full year.


Tonight four of my best friends surprised me with a bombardment of silly string, balloons, ice cream, board games, laughs, jokes, and of course tacos. Believe me, I had no idea that they were coming. I was even taking my afternoon nap when they surprised me. It was at that moment though, that I realized I would be leaving all that I have come to know and love will no longer be within a ten minute drive. It brought tears to my eyes that tonight would be the last time I could be with them. So, instead of sulking around we enjoyed the company and pigged out. What else would we do?















But what is it that we really know? I know that I can breathe due to the respiratory system. I know that a goldfish has an attention span of 3 seconds. I know that I will be spending my next year in Germany.
What I don't know is why the body breathes due to the respiratory system. Or why a goldfish can only hold their attention on one thing for 3 seconds. I don't know how my life will differ when I return from my exchange year. I don't know what experiences or adventures or even misadventures I will have next year.


One thing I know is that I am me. I am ready for this. 


Leaving everything to arrive with one suitcase. Arriving to meet a family I haven't really conversed with, to go to a school where I know nobody, to be on a soccer (football) team with people I have never played with. It's just fascinating to me. The stories, the people, the culture, the language, it's all so intriguing. Making my dreams come true, I am so proud of myself, and yet so proud of my family; my country. I get the chance of a lifetime; to represent my country in a land that doesn't yet know me, that doesn't yet know the impact I will have on their life.


 The feeling I have right now is bittersweet. So excited to embark on a new adventure. So determined to help change this world into a better place. So sad to leave home, my family, friends, support system. So confused as to what home will be in the next few weeks. Its all new feelings. New. I love that word. New.


Sweet Serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment