Thursday, October 4, 2012

England.


Everything is royal.

The streets, the shops, the houses, the telephone booths, the buses, and of course, the people. Everything from the lavish decor of the streets and shops, to the never less than perfect pubs, to the inviting atmosphere of the nightlife. I feel like I'm writing an ad in a tourism magazine. But, it's a definite place to put on your map of places to go before you kick the bucket. I have seen so many things in so very little time. Literally from everywhere in London, you can see the Big Ben; ornamented in all its gold trim and the accent coloring of the brick, along with the always bright face of the clock. It's just impeccably perfect. We walked across a bridge last night and you could see it and its reflection in the river that flowed through and divided London. It was just a perfect sight. the city lit up the water, and then Big Ben rang it's bells. Its really hard to express all that i have seen and felt while being here. and its only our 2nd day here. The Westminster Abbey; we went to a choral service. It was just so wonderful, the sounds and the echoes. Oh it was just an experience that I will love forever. I can't even begin to describe the elaborate and incredibly lavish interior. We were not allowed to take pictures, which was sad, and actually the only time that I listened to someone tell me not to take pictures. It was just so very beautiful. Something that every pair of eyes should see in their life. One cannot express the detail and beauty within this structure. It's just indescribable.

Oxford. How can I even begin To describe this one? Okay, so I've almost decided that this is exactly the place that I want to study for university. Period. The ever inviting atmosphere welcomes you to come in, closer and closer. It's a very beautiful campus and there are many colleges to choose from. It's suitable for any young scholar; like myself. That was a joke. I hope you got it.

Any who, Contrary to popular belief, England is not one big city. London is, but there is much more to England that meets the eye. Yes, that was a pun, the London Eye, I hope you got that one too. But, I have seen the White Cliffs of Dover, which are absolutely breathtaking. They take up a majority of the side of the island we entered. It is so strange to call England an island, because you think tropical, but its actually the opposite. Some beautiful sight. I also have gotten the chance to ride a subway for the first time in my whole life. And believe me, I have done a whole lot of subway riding this past week. I also almost got stuck on the subway while my group had gotten off....story of my life, and a great story indeed. This week we also have to make some sort of music video to "gangham style" and it should be really cool, because our whole grade is basically in all different parts of Europe; we're in England, some are in Ireland, Rome, Austria, Berlin, Poland; all over. All of us are doing the same music video and dance so it'll be like a "world class" flash mob happening all over Europe. I think it's a really cool idea.

Something I have really noticed since I have been here though, is that German people are ridiculously good at figuring out which country people are from. We were sitting at breakfast and my friend pointed out a family and said they were French; not believing her, I waited for them to start talking, and guess what, it was French. And she figured this out, just by their mannerisms. The next day, a different friend pointed out some people and said they were Italian, and believe it or not, they were. It was so fascinating because they literally just watched for a few seconds and they could tell right there, what they were. It seemed so simple.

There is so much more that I could write, but simply, there is not enough time, or space.

Also I have finally had a real diet coke. The world is now back on it's axis.

Sweet Serendipity.

1 comment:

  1. My only question is: have you tried the Branston Pickle? I wonder if there is any difference in what we get here, VS what they serve over there.

    ReplyDelete